Registration Now Closed
Letter of Intent due March 30, 2022
The ALS Association’s Barnett Drug Development grant program supports preclinical drug discovery and development of new or repurposed treatments for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
The ALS Association Global Research Program leads the scientific community in finding effective treatments and cure for ALS, and a better life for people with ALS, their caregivers, and families. The ALS Association is the largest private philanthropic funder of ALS research worldwide, and our efforts have led to some of the most promising and significant advances in ALS research.
There is an urgent need for new and improved therapies for ALS, as there is still no cure. The Lawrence and Isabel Barnett Drug Development Program is open to industry and academic investigators proposing to develop novel or repositioning approaches for ALS. The Association seeks applications for the preclinical assessment of therapeutics for ALS that have a high probability of reaching the clinic within three years.
To view the full funding announcement, click here.
Topics of Interest (Scope)
Both novel programs and repurposing of approved or clinically safe therapies from other disease indications are appropriate for this RFA. Studies can be performed by a contract research organization in collaboration with the PI. We are especially interested in drug discovery projects supporting the following:
- In vivo efficacy testing of therapeutic candidates (pharmacological treatments, biological therapies, or gene therapy) in models of ALS.
- Studies on pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, preclinical toxicology/safety (ADME/Tox), dose-range finding, and target engagement.
- Other IND enabling studies
Please Note: Clinical trials will not be supported with this funding opportunity. Early drug discovery studies proposing high-throughput screening, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization will also not be supported through this funding opportunity.
Funding and Eligibility
- The maximum period of performance is two years.
- The maximum total budget is $500,000 (not more than $250,000 per year, inclusive of both direct and indirect costs).
- Indirect costs are limited to 10 percent of the total direct costs.
- Economy travel up to $2,000 per year to attend scientific conferences.
- Moveable equipment costs not to exceed 20 percent of the annual budget.
- Computer hardware and software costs up to $2,000.
- Recurring annual cost-of-living/inflationary increase up to 3% for personnel and consumable supplies.
- All funds must be expended within the approved period of support.
- All unexpended funds remaining at the end of the project must be returned to The ALS Association.
- Salary and wages and fringe benefits of personnel other than the salary of the Principal Investigator are allowed.
- Salary and wages and fringe benefits of the Principal Investigator are allowed only when indirect costs are waived.
- Letter of Intent Due Date: March 30, 2022 5 p.m. US ET
- Full Application Due Date (by invite only): June 1, 2022, 5 p.m. US ET
- Anticipated Award Decision: July 2022
- Anticipated Earliest Start Date: August 2022
To Register for a proposalCENTRAL account, create a new Letter of Intent or to access an existing saved Letter of Intent, please visit: https://proposalcentral.com/
User Guides for proposalCENTRAL:
We encourage inquiries concerning this funding opportunity and welcome the opportunity to answer questions from potential applicants. Submit general questions and other related correspondence to [email protected].