Super Bowl Sunday has become an unofficial national holiday across America, with millions tuning in to watch regardless of which teams are competing. Whether you’re tuning in from home, your favorite local neighborhood watch spot, or a watch party with friends and family, you can count on Super Bowl Sunday to deliver several things: good football (usually), a flashy halftime show, lots of entertaining commercials, and... food!
But for people living with ALS, planning a Super Bowl watch party requires additional attention due to the feeding and swallowing challenges the disease often creates. Approximately 85 percent of people living with ALS will experience dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing, at some point during their disease progression, and maintaining proper nutrition and hydration are critical in sustaining weight to prolong and maintain quality of life.
“There are usually periods that most patients have trouble meeting their (nutritional) needs,” said Kelly Woodbury, a registered dietician with the Providence ALS Center of Excellence.
“They may have difficulty chewing or swallowing; they may even have—and this is actually pretty common with people who have arm weakness—trouble feeding themselves, just getting that utensil to their mouths repeatedly,” she added.
So, to help make the most of your Super Bowl watch party this year, we are providing you with a few highly nutritious, delicious, easy-to-swallow Super Bowl staples the whole family will enjoy!
Makes 2 ½ cups
- 1 cup frozen green peas or 1 cup drained and rinsed canned peas
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup mild salsa
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 scallion, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- If using frozen peas, blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, then cool with cold water and drain.
- Cut avocado into large chunks.
- Mash avocado and peas together using a fork.
- Mix in salsa, garlic, scallion, lemon juice, cumin and cilantro.
Quick and Easy Taco Dip
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, taco seasoning mix and salsa. Spread the mixture into a shallow serving dish or an 8-inch baking pan. Top with Cheddar cheese.
- Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hour before serving.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2, 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1, 10.75 oz can condensed tomato soup
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1, 15.5 oz can light red kidney beans (un-drained)
- Brown ground beef and onion, drain fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato soup, and seasonings.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add kidney beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
For more high-calorie and easy to chew recipes, visit our website HERE. To continue to learn more about ALS and follow stories about people living with the disease in the community, follow our blog at ALS.org/blog.
Join the conversation. Please comment below.