There is no entry fee to submit a design. All entrants must be currently registered as an ALS Association Walk to Defeat ALS® participant in the US. Only three (3) design submissions per person are allowed. If you are under the age of 18, your design must be submitted by a parent or guardian on your behalf.
Rules and Guidelines
- This contest is open to all registered 2022 Walk to Defeat ALS® participants. To find a Walk near you, visit walktodefeatals.org to register today!
- All designs must be original creations of the contestant, and incorporate all of the required design components outlined below and encompassing The ALS Association Walk to Defeat ALS® brand (i.e. colors, trademarks, logos). Submissions must not have been previously published and must not contain profanity, trademarks, other organization's logos, specific Walk Team information, or any copyrighted works of any other person or business.
- Design(s) must be submitted in .pdf format, on the T-Shirt Contest website via the submission form by 11:59pm (ET) on August 11, 2022.
a. Designs must be created in either Adobe (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Canva, or CorelDRAW.
- Winning designer agrees to sign a waiver to allow The ALS Association the use of their design, free of charge, for any and all printing and promotional purposes.
- Contest winner must agree to submit a high-resolution layered vector art file within 7 days of notification and agree to work with the Association's printer if slight changes/modifications are necessary for production. If not, an alternate winner may be chosen due to meet the Association's production deadlines.
- By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to all contest rules. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Required Design Components
The winning design will be placed on the front of the official nationwide 2023 Walk to Defeat ALS® participant t-shirt. (Please note: all t-shirts will be white, not subject to change.)
- Theme: Design theme must include “Unlock ALS” and the Walk to Defeat ALS logo.
- Walk to Defeat ALS Logo: The Walk to Defeat ALS logo must be used in the design. Click here for the official logo, which is only to be used in Red (Pantone 186).
- Colors: The winning design will be printed on a white t-shirt. Design can use up to four (4) of the following approved colors. Image
- Typefaces: Only the below font families are to be used in t-shirt design.Image
- Design Software: Designs must be created in either Adobe (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Canva, or CorelDRAW.
a. (Designs created using t-shirt design websites like, Bonfire, CafePress, and Zazzle will NOT be accepted)
How Winner is Selected
- Entries will be evaluated by an independent internal panel of judges and will be reviewed for:
- Concept and originality of design
- Visibility from a reasonable distance
- Adherence to design and submission rules and guidelines
- Adherence to The ALS Association and Walk to Defeat ALS® branding guidelines, including logo usage, colors, and typefaces
- Successfully capturing the spirit of the Walk to Defeat ALS®, "Unlock ALS," and the overall mission of The ALS Association
- Totality of design and production readiness
- Upon final review, the top three designs will be presented for a public vote from the community (limit of one vote per person). Vote must be submitted by 11:59pm (ET) on September 22, 2022 via the t-shirt contest website. If a tie breaker is required, a member of The ALS Association national development team will cast the final vote.
Publicity and Agreement: Contest entry constitutes an agreement by the submitting designers to grant free license of all copyrights of the submitted works to The ALS Association in perpetuity, for publicity and promotional purposes. Top 3 finalists will be subject to approval by The ALS Association per the Walk to Defeat ALS® Standards Agreement prior to public voting.
Media Release: By submitting artwork, you agree that if your design wins, The ALS Association retains first printing rights and a free license, in perpetuity, to utilize the design on t-shirts and other promotional items, and marketing, fundraising, and public relations materials. You are guaranteeing that your design does not contain any copyrighted material, including images/copy found on the internet, unless clearly marked as published under a Creative Commons (cc) license. Contest entrants who are not selected as the winning designer(s) retain all rights to their artwork.