Registration Now Open
Letter of Intent due April 23, 2021
The ALS Association’s Barnett Drug Development grant program supports preclinical drug discovery and development of new or repurposed treatments for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
The ALS Association Global Research Program leads the scientific community in finding effective treatments and cure for ALS, and a better life for people with ALS, their caregivers, and families. The ALS Association is the largest private philanthropic funder of ALS research worldwide, and our efforts have led to some of the most promising and significant advances in ALS research.
There is an urgent need for new and improved therapies for ALS, as there is still no cure. The Lawrence and Isabel Barnett Drug Development Program is open to industry and academic investigators proposing to develop novel or repositioning approaches for ALS. The Association seeks applications for the preclinical assessment of therapeutics for ALS that have a high probability of reaching the clinic within three years.
To view the full funding announcement, click here.
Topics of Interest (Scope)
We are especially interested in drug discovery projects supporting the following:
- In vivo efficacy testing of lead molecules from pharmacological treatments, biological therapies, or gene therapy in animal models of ALS. Both novel programs and repurposing of approved or clinically safe therapies from other disease indications are appropriate for this RFA.
- Determination of dose-range finding, target engagement, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and preclinical toxicology/safety.
- Development of pharmacologic agents through Adsorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion, and Toxicity (ADMET) phase; This can be performed by a contract research organization in collaboration with the PI.
Please Note: Clinical trials will not be supported with this funding opportunity. Early drug discovery studies proposing high-throughput screening, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization will also not be supported through this funding opportunity.
Funding and Eligibility
- The maximum period of performance is two years.
- The maximum budget for the entire period of performance is $250,000 per year (500,000 total).
- Indirect costs for award and reimbursement is limited to 10 percent of the total funds awarded.
- Economy travel up to $2,000 per year to attend scientific conferences.
- Moveable equipment costs not to exceed 20 percent of the annual budget.
- Computer hardware and software costs up to $2,000.
- Recurring annual cost-of-living/inflationary increase up to 3% for personnel and consumable supplies.
- All funds must be expended within the approved period of support.
- All unexpended funds remaining at the end of the project must be returned to The ALS Association.
- Salary and wages and fringe benefits of personnel other than the salary of the Principal Investigator
- Salary and wages and fringe benefits of the Principal Investigator only when indirect cost are waived
- Letter of Intent Due Date: April 23, 2021 5 p.m. US ET
- Full Application Due Date (by invite only): June 25, 2021, 5 p.m. US ET
- Anticipated Award Decision: September 2021
- Anticipated Earliest Start Date: October 2021*
*Note: The start date should be prior to January 31, 2022.
To Register for a proposalCENTRAL account, create a new Letter of Intent or to access an existing saved Letter of Intent, please visit: https://proposalcentral.com/
User Guides for proposalCENTRAL:
We encourage inquiries concerning this funding opportunity and welcome the opportunity to answer questions from potential applicants. Submit general questions and other related correspondence to [email protected].